How Geeks Will Inherit the Earth
The first couple of chapters were interesting enough that I checked out the audio book version of Thorstein Veblen's "The Theory of the Leisure Class" from the local library. And I was able to finish Veblen's book just before Christmas, and had some interesting conversations about it with friends and family after Christmas dinner.
Just after New Year's when I listened to the podcast of Elegant Technology: Chapter Four "The Theory of the Industrial Class". The ideas in this chapter lead me to some very interesting insights into the driving forces behind the Open Source Software and related movements and their likely long term repercussions.
- The "producer class", a.k.a. the geeks, will steadily gain economic and political power by routing around anything or anyone that gets in the way using open source tools and techniques, rather then through direct conflict or political action.
- As more and more technologies become open source, the pace of innovation will increase. Probably geometrically.
- Companies that hold and try to monopolize technology patents will find that open source research develops multiple technologies that render their patents obsolete and valueless.
- Similar open culture processes will happen with content creators and copyrights, because given a choice buyers will choose open content that they can use when, where and how they want, and they're even willing to pay extra for that privilege.
- At some point open innovation and content development will occur faster then patents and copyrights can be enforced by the legal system. When this happens most patents and copyrights will become pointless.
- The current system of intellectual property as incentive to innovation will breakdown and the businesses that depend on it must adapt or die. (Most will go bankrupt trying to defend useless patents and copyrights.)
- Businesses and individuals that facilitate collaboration and the free exchange of information will prosper.
- Mass market industrial manufacturing will rapidly decline and be replaced by global systems of distributed custom manufacturing of openly designed products.
The podcast and an online version of Creating Prosperity are available on the Elegant Technology...online web site. Be warned that the podcast is very dry and will likely put you to sleep, unless you're really interested in the subject matter and know some history of economics.
The Sad State of American Religon
Carol Sayles wrote:
My son Tom, (and E-Mail Friends)What do you think of this one? It came to me from old friends from Richwoods my high school.Mom / CarolTHIS IS REALLY A SAD SITUATION !!!!!!!
Some of you may be wondering what Judge Roy Moore has been doing since he was removed from the bench for refusing to remove the 10 Commandments from his courtroom wall. Please read the poem he wrote below.
God bless, Alabama Judge Being Sued
Good Poem from
judge sued by ACLU Alabama
The following is a poem written by Judge Roy Moore from
. Judge Moore was sued by the ACLU for displaying the Ten Commandments in his courtroom foyer. He has been stripped of his judgeship and now they are trying to strip his right to practice law in Alabama . The judge's poem sums it up quite well. Alabama
the Beautiful, America
or so you used to be.
Land of the Pilgrims' pride;
I'm glad they'll never see.
Babies piled in dumpsters,
Abortion on demand,
Oh, sweet land of liberty;
your house is on the sand.
Our children wander aimlessly
poisoned by cocaine,
Choosing to indulge their lusts,
when God has said abstain.
From sea to shining sea,
our Nation turns away
From the teaching of God's love
and a need to always pray.
We've kept God in our temples,
how callous we have grown.
When earth is but His footstool,
and Heaven is His throne.
We've voted in a government
that's rotting at the core,
Appointing Godless Judges
who throw reason out the door,
Too soft to place a killer
in a well deserved tomb,
But brave enough to kill a baby
before he leaves the womb.
You think that God's not angry,
that our land's a moral slum?
How much longer will He wait
before His judgment comes?
How are we to face our God,
from Whom we cannot hide?
What then is left for us to do,
but stem this evil tide?
If we who are His children,
will humbly turn and pray;
Seek His holy face
and mend our evil way:
Then God will hear from Heaven
and forgive us of our sins,
He'll heal our sickly land
and those who live within.
the Beautiful, America
if you don't - then you will see,
A sad but Holy God
withdraw His hand from Thee.
~Judge Roy Moore
Pass this on and let's lift Judge Moore up in prayer.
He has stood firm and needs our support.
IN GOD WE TRUST!God Bless America And God Bless Our Troops
Patriotic Action = Terrorist Support
- The petition seems to have been forwarded in a geometrically expanding progression and such use of the Internet is harmful. If this petition is forward by each successive signer to only two others that then sign and forward it, the White House will be swamped with more then 10 to the 600th power e-mail messages. If successful this would most certainly cripple the White House e-mail servers (and much of the Internet along with it). So it is quite possible that this petition was started by terrorists as a denial of service attack and that signing and forwarding it is helping the evil doers.
- Unlike most tyrants, the President of the United States does not and should not have the power to compel school children and teachers to recite a pledge of allegiance to any icon, document or person. Thus the petition is addressed to the wrong branch of the Government, it should be addressed to Congress.
- The current version of the Pledge of Allegiance containing the phrase "under God", the version most likely to be supported by our current president, is patently in violation of the First Amendment, which states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...
Assuming that a Pledge of Allegiance is appropriate in a modern democracy, the petition should ask congress to repeal the illegal change it enacted at the bequest of a Catholic fraternal organization back in 1954.
- The Pledge of Allegiance is a nationalistic oath written by socialists at the end of the 19th century. I am very wary of any combination of nationalism and socialism as this combination lead to very dangerous dictatorships in twenty century Europe.
- Traditionally public school education in our country has been regulated by local governments, specifically local school boards. Thus the federal government, to the greatest extent possible, should not interfere in local decisions, except when necessary to protect constitutional, civil and humanitarian rights.
- Our current educational system is already overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge that we need to teach our children. So I believe that it is inappropriate for our public schools to dedicate scarce time out of the already lengthly school day to nationalistic and/or religious ceremony. (Such activities may be appropriate in private schools.
- I think that it is inappropriate to ask children below the age of maturity to recite an oath to icons and/or institution that they may or may not wish to actively support later in their life.
Carol Sayles <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
God Bless America And God Bless Our Troops
RSS Mirror Tags / Namespace
I'm still looking for suggestions on how to specify the "addMirror" tag. Unless someone steps up and says it should be like this, then I'll probably end up playing around with some experimental XML-RPC implementations to see what works.
Idea: Equestrian Training Pedometer
Specifically I'd like to put one of these on Cali's bridle so I can track how much time she spends during lessons, practice and training sessions centering and trotting.
Such a device could also be used to gauge the activity level of horses during turnout periods, i.e. the amount of time spent grazing, sleeping and frolicking.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 License.